Friday, February 20, 2009

Topwater bait Trout action is hot!

Possibly the highlight of the last few weeks fishing (besides the hot sheepshead bite) Gawd... did I just mark out to sheepshead again? The trout have been pounding topwaters. I have had four line spreads out, live shrimp, Gulps, soft jerkbaits, and a very special topwater chugger in the mix. The chugger gets the strike every time. meanwhile ravenous hordes of Pinfish mangle the gulps/shrimp/jerkbaits. most of these topwater aggresive trout are in the seventeen inch range, but a few fish that managed to escape the sticky sharp trebles were obviously in the upper twenties. 17 and 19 inch trout are tons of fun to catch on eight pound test, and the hungry surface strike have been money.
Ok, here is the lure... Yo-zuri Wack-0 (black back/gold/orange belly) I replace the smallish hooks with eagle claw lazer sharp 3x red trebles #2 (L934RDT-2). It makes the plug sit almost sub-surface(making a better chug) and the hooks have a wide gap that sticks a fish from several inches away. I replace all stock plug hooks with these, try them and I think you will like them!
Other fish hitting right now, everything but the Snook! I am seriously looking forward to the first few weeks without a cold front. There are piles of them laying low in residential canals, every once in awhile one or two of them will eat a shrimp. This last few weeks of cold has put those fish in a bad position. even if the cold doesn't kill them, they are still malnourished and lethargic.
Some Cobia are cruising the beaches off Boca, and if the reports from south of us are any indication, bait and pelagics should be moving north in the next few week or two.
This just in... if I was to go out in my skiff and fish by myself for fun. I would troll deep divers in the harbor around the phosphate dock and channels to catch some state water Gags!

No comments:

Post a Comment