Thursday, November 11, 2010

Fly fishing for Speckled Seatrout

Today's aquatic adventure started out with a dozen 35-40 inch Snook laying in a sandy swash on the outgoing tide. My client mr. Curt was shooting a red and white puglisi mullet right at them, perfect angle and presentation, but they never even showed interest in the fly. Curt got a dozen casts at them before a pod of 5 snook in the same size range swam lazily towards my boat and spooked from our shadows. This in turn spooked off the fish laying in the swash. A few minutes later another group of snook in the 40 inch range came down the chute and Curt got a few decent shots at their noses without a take. The whole egde of the flat we were staked out on had pilchards working into the current, so we switched flies to a chartreuse/white deciever. Still no interest from the dozens of Snook milling about. I really wanted Curt to hook one of these big girls, but it was not in the cards. I decided to slip around the corner and work an oyster bar that has had Reds/Trout/Snook. When we posted up on the splotchy bottom, I could see several bruiser Snook laying in the sand, noses into the current of the outgoing tide. Several schools of mullet pushed towards us and I kept a lookout for cruising Redfish. By now the Fly of choice had turned into a yellow gurgler and a 20 inch trout pounced on it and broke the ice. I stood on my poling platform and was scanning for Redfish when even more huge Snook materialized. Four of them came out of deeper water on my starboard side and sat with their noses pointed straight at my stern. They just sat there motionless, laying on the bottom for a few moments before swimming off towards the bow. At this point I was itching to find some Redfish that wanted to cooperate. We picked up and blasted over to some potholes that were loaded with Mullet and Trout. A few eager Trout slurped at the gurgler, and Curt did his job of feeding them. We worked about a quarter mile of prime pothole action at dead low tide and no Redfish to be found. By this time it was time to head for the dock and call it a day. All I gotta say is those Snook have to eat sooner or later!

No comments:

Post a Comment